Ore Market Inferno: Aiyedatiwa Orders Probe, Promises Support for Fire Victims

By Opeyemi Adelakun

Ondo State Governor, Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa, has ordered an investigation into the cause of the fire that destroyed shops and goods at Sabo Market, Ore, in Odigbo Local Government Area, while promising government support for affected traders.

The fire, which occurred on August 12, caused significant financial losses to traders, although no life was lost in the incident.

Aiyedatiwa gave the assurance on Tuesday when he visited the market for an on-the-spot assessment of the damage and sympathised with the victims.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Prince Ebenezer Adeniyan, on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

The governor said the absence of fatalities was a relief despite the destruction of shops and valuable goods, while commending firefighters and residents for their efforts in preventing the fire from spreading.

“I acknowledge and thank all our firefighters for their quick response to ensure that this fire did not escalate more than this,” he said.

“A lot of valuables have been lost but no life was lost. Our men responded with the support of the people in the neighbourhood to ensure that the fire was put off.”

Aiyedatiwa said the state emergency agency had already visited the market to assess and document the damage and identify the affected traders.

“The emergency agency of the state government has been here to take note and account of all that have been destroyed and those who are affected. They are doing their calculation; in due time, they will respond to support the people,” he said.

The governor urged traders and residents to exercise caution by switching off electrical appliances and other potential sources of fire before leaving their shops or going to bed.

He also promised to address the water shortage that hampered firefighting operations during the incident.

“I’m promising you today, the Ministry of Water Resources, Hygiene and Sanitation will visit and look at locations where they have to sink the boreholes and that will be approved immediately. Not just for firefighting but also for your use,” he said.

Aiyedatiwa also appreciated the Chairman of Odigbo Local Government for his response to the incident and directed him to identify other areas requiring state government intervention.

The Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Alhaji Amidu Takuro, said the state government would investigate the remote causes of the fire.

Takuro disclosed that the latest incident was the third fire outbreak recorded at the market within two years, with no concrete reasons established for the previous incidents.

“So, at this time, it is very important for us to dig to the roots of the causes of these problems so that we can be able to know what to do next,” he said.

The Chairman of Odigbo Local Government, Taiwo Michael Adegoroye, commended the governor for visiting the market and promising support for the affected traders.

Adegoroye described the market as one of the major markets in Ondo State, noting its contribution to the internally generated revenue and finances of both the state and local government.

The Iyaloja of Ore, Odigbo Local Government, Chief Eniola Ogunlana, who spoke on behalf of the victims, described the incident as unfortunate and appealed to the government to assist the affected traders whose livelihoods depend on the market.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *