By George Omagbemi
What should have been a peaceful Friday prayer ended in terror in Niger State as suspected terrorists reportedly stormed communities in Borgu Local Government Area and abducted Muslim worshippers shortly after the Juma’at prayer.
The attack, reported on Friday, August 21, 2026, occurred around the Gidan-Zana/Kpenya area of Dekara District, according to security reports. The Niger State Police Command confirmed that suspected terrorists invaded the area and abducted worshippers.
The affected communities reportedly include Dekara, Gidan Zana, Masaka and Sabon Gida, with Dekara said to have recorded the highest number of victims.
However, authorities have yet to establish the exact number of people abducted, and reports giving specific figures should therefore be treated with caution until officially confirmed.
Police spokesperson Wasiu Abiodun said there was no reported loss of life during the incident, adding that security personnel had been deployed to the affected communities.
The development has triggered fresh anxiety among residents already living under the shadow of insecurity. The fact that worshippers could reportedly be abducted immediately after congregational prayers underscores the growing vulnerability of civilians in some rural communities.
For residents, the question is no longer simply where terrorists will strike next, but whether ordinary Nigerians can still gather to worship, farm, travel or conduct their daily activities without becoming targets.
The Niger State incident is another grim reminder that defeating insecurity requires more than periodic security operations. Rural communities need sustained protection, intelligence-led operations and swift rescue efforts.
Until citizens can worship without fear of abduction, the battle against terrorism cannot be declared won.

Leave a Reply