FG Withdraws Death Penalty Appeal Against Nnamdi Kanu — Lawyer

By Paul Joseph

The Federal Government has withdrawn its cross-appeal seeking the mandatory death penalty against the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.

Kanu’s Special Counsel, Aloy Ejimakor, disclosed the development on Thursday, August 20, 2026, saying the government formally communicated its decision to him two days earlier.

Ejimakor said the government had notified the relevant parties that it no longer intended to pursue its cross-appeal on the mandatory imposition of the death penalty against Kanu.

He also disclosed that representations had been made concerning the legality of mandatory capital punishment and its alleged conflict with international law.

Sharing the communication on X, Ejimakor said the government’s decision had effectively brought the issue to an end.

“UPDATE: By virtue of a formal communication I received 2 days ago, I can confirm that the Nigerian government ‘does not intend to pursue their cross appeal on the question of the mandatory death penalty’ against Mazi Nnamdi Kanu. Case closed,” he stated.

The development comes months after the prosecution urged the Federal High Court in Abuja to impose the death penalty on Kanu under provisions of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act.

However, Justice James Omotosho, in his judgment, declined to impose capital punishment and instead sentenced Kanu to life imprisonment.

The judge reportedly considered international developments and the growing global shift away from capital punishment in reaching the decision.

Kanu, who has remained in the custody of Nigerian authorities following his rendition to the country, has consistently challenged the charges against him as well as aspects of the legal process surrounding his prosecution.

With the Federal Government now withdrawing its cross-appeal on the mandatory death penalty, Ejimakor said the issue would no longer form part of the government’s appeal proceedings.

The latest development comes amid continued legal efforts by Kanu and his legal team to challenge aspects of his conviction and detention.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *