El-Rufai Saga: Charge Him To Court Or Release Him Now, ADC Slams ICPC

By Paul Joseph

A chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Usman Austin, has called on the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to either formally charge former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, to court or release him without further delay.In a statement issued on Saturday, Austin expressed concern over what he described as the prolonged detention of the former governor, urging anti-corruption agencies to strictly adhere to due process and uphold the rule of law.He commended the approach recently adopted by the Department of State Services (DSS), noting that the agency had sought court approval in handling comparable cases rather than detaining suspects without trial.According to Austin, any allegations against El-Rufai should be subjected to judicial scrutiny, allowing both prosecution and defence to present their arguments before a competent court of law. He stressed that the principles of democracy require that individuals be presumed innocent until proven guilty.Austin also observed that El-Rufai had previously honoured an invitation from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), describing him as cooperative with investigators.He raised questions about the circumstances surrounding the former governor’s continued custody, asking whether El-Rufai was officially transferred to the ICPC after his release from the EFCC or re-arrested following the grant of administrative bail. The absence of clear information, he said, could erode public confidence in the justice system.Austin further cautioned that arresting a suspect before concluding investigations might infringe on the constitutional right to fair hearing. He urged anti-graft agencies to avoid actions that could undermine democratic norms.Reports indicate that El-Rufai was taken into custody by ICPC operatives shortly after being released by the EFCC. The ICPC subsequently confirmed that the former governor remains in its custody in connection with an ongoing investigation.In a statement signed by its Head of Media and Public Communications, the commission said El-Rufai was still in its custody as of the close of work on February 18, 2026.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *