Account Freeze: ‘Tinubu called me’ – Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC

By Sunday Ameh

Re-elected Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has directed the state Attorney General to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over the freezing of the state government’s bank account.

Adeleke disclosed this during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.

Explaining his decision to discontinue the legal battle, Adeleke said President Bola Tinubu personally called him and intervened in the dispute.

“I’m putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr. President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.

The governor had earlier challenged the EFCC’s decision to freeze the state government’s account, describing the action as politically motivated and capable of affecting the operations of his administration.

The account freeze had generated political tension in the state, particularly because it came shortly before the governorship election.

Following the development, Tinubu directed the anti-graft agency to lift the restrictions and discontinue the related legal proceedings.

Adeleke also addressed reports that some of his supporters and government officials had been invited for questioning by the EFCC, saying he had instructed his lawyers to provide them with the necessary legal support.

He said his legal team had been engaging with those involved, while noting that the APC in Osun had accused the federal government of using its powers against the state.

The governor’s latest decision marks a significant shift in his confrontation with the EFCC, coming shortly after he secured a second term in office.


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *