Why Nigeria Didn’t Apply to Join BRICS – Shettima

 

Vice President Kashim Shettima has denied media reports that Nigeria was rejected by BRICS, an economic bloc made up of Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.

Shettima represented President Bola Tinubu at the 15th BRICS Summit, which was held this week in Johannesburg, South Africa.

During the summit, BRIC announced that new members, which include Argentina, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), would be joining its fold from January 1 next year.

In a chat with reporters on Friday, Shettima said Nigeria did not apply to join BRICS membership in the first instance, adding that so many variables need to be taken into cognisance.

He said: “So far, we have not applied for the membership of BRICS. And it is majorly informed by the fact that my principal, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is a true democrat who believes in consensus building.

“There are so many variables that need to be taken into cognisance.

“We have to evaluate so many tendencies and issues that require engagements with the economic advisory council, the Federal Executive Council, and even the national assembly, before an informed decision towards joining the BRICS would be taken.”

Shettima said he was asked to attend the summit by his principal because the Tinubu administration is examining the variables and evaluating the scope and level of regional and global cooperation to pursue in order to establish Nigeria as the desired friend and partner.

See also  I Won’t Be Stopped from Returning Home – Natasha Responds to Kogi Governor’s Proclamation

South African Court Acquits Nigerian Pastor Tim Omotoso of Rape Charges

Pregnant woman dies after hospital refuses treatment over ₦500,000 deposit

Ighodalo Reveals Next Line Of Action As Appeal Court Upholds Okpebholo’s Victory

Tribunal Dismisses PDP’s Petition Against Okpebholo’s Victory in Edo

IGP Launches Nationwide Medical Outreaches, Palliatives for National Police Day

Gunmen Kill Three in Badagry Over Alleged Land Dispute

South African Court Acquits Nigerian Pastor Tim Omotoso of Rape Charges

Pregnant woman dies after hospital refuses treatment over ₦500,000 deposit

Ighodalo Reveals Next Line Of Action As Appeal Court Upholds Okpebholo’s Victory

Tribunal Dismisses PDP’s Petition Against Okpebholo’s Victory in Edo