JUST IN: DHQ reveals those behind attack on Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello

The Defence Headquarters has denied that its personnel attacked the Kogi State governor, Yahaya Bello, on Sunday.

Bello had claimed there was an assassination attempt on his life a few kilometers away from Abuja, on his way to an official engagement from Lokoja, the state capital.

A statement by the state Commissioner for information, Kingsley Fanwo, stated that the assailants who were dressed in military uniforms waylaid the governor’s convoy and started shooting sporadically at his vehicle and other vehicles in the convoy.

But the comment had been misconstrued in some quarters and claimed that some yet-to-be-identified soldiers attacked the governor.

Dispelling the claim, the Director, Defence Information, Defence Headquarters, Brig. Gen. Tukur Gusau, in an interview with our correspondent said Bello’s attackers were criminals clad in fake military uniforms.

Gusau urged the police to investigate the matter and ensure that the culprits were brought to book.

He said, “The attack is unfortunate and we are not happy with what happened. However, the governor did not say it was the military that attacked him. Military personnel will never attack the governor. He said his attackers were in military uniforms. His attackers are criminals. We urged the police to investigate the matter and unravel the circumstances and those involved in the attack.”

Credit: Punch

See also  Police Kill Five Kidnap Suspects, Recover Arms in Delta

South African Court Acquits Nigerian Pastor Tim Omotoso of Rape Charges

Pregnant woman dies after hospital refuses treatment over ₦500,000 deposit

Ighodalo Reveals Next Line Of Action As Appeal Court Upholds Okpebholo’s Victory

Tribunal Dismisses PDP’s Petition Against Okpebholo’s Victory in Edo

IGP Launches Nationwide Medical Outreaches, Palliatives for National Police Day

Gunmen Kill Three in Badagry Over Alleged Land Dispute

South African Court Acquits Nigerian Pastor Tim Omotoso of Rape Charges

Pregnant woman dies after hospital refuses treatment over ₦500,000 deposit

Ighodalo Reveals Next Line Of Action As Appeal Court Upholds Okpebholo’s Victory

Tribunal Dismisses PDP’s Petition Against Okpebholo’s Victory in Edo